Why STEM Education?

STEM Education has come to the forefront of educational importance in the last decade. National statistics indicate that the USA must prepare our students differently for the global workforce than we have been doing.  Here are the reasons why everyone should be concerned about promoting strong schools with a solid STEM education focus:

STEMRubicsCube   1.   According to the U.S. Bureau of Statistics, in the next five years, STEM jobs are projected to grow twice as quickly as jobs in other fields. While all jobs are expected to grow by 10.4%, STEM jobs are expected to increase by 21.4%. Similarly, 80% of jobs in the next decade will require technical skills.

   2.  The U.S. Department of Labor claims that out of the 20 fastest growing occupations projected to 2014, 15 of them require significant mathematics or science preparation. The U.S. will have over 1 million job openings in STEM-related fields by 2018; yet, according to the U.S. Bureau of Statistics, only 16% of U.S. bachelor’s degrees will specialize in STEM. As a nation, we are not graduating nearly enough STEM majors to supply the demand.

   3.  To put these numbers into perspective, of the 3.8 million 9th graders in the USA, only 233,000 end up choosing a STEM degree in college, which means only 6 out of every 100 9th graders pursue STEM degrees.  (The STEM Dilemma)

   4.  When compared with other countries, the numbers are even more alarming.STEM Graduates

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

WomeninSTEMIn the report, Rising Above the Gathering Storm, Revisited: Rapidly Approaching Category 5, the National Academies Gathering Storm Committee concluded that the primary driver of the future economy and the creation of jobs will be innovation, largely derived from advances in science and engineering. While only 4% of the nation’s work force is composed of scientists and engineers, this group disproportionately creates jobs for the other 96%.

Women are underrepresented in most STEM fields as well. The US Department of Commerce also published Women in STEM: A Gender Gap to Innovation.

Click here to read Women In STEM: A Gap To Innovation, published by the U.S. Department of Commerce, Economics and Statistics Administration.